Increase the Probability of Achieving Your Outcomes with This Simple Perception Hack
Would you like to dramatically increase the probability that you’ll achieve your desired outcomes?
(Enjoy the associated video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1bODejjlVU)
If yes, one of the most important determiners lays in how much you want to do the things you need to do.
When you think about the things you need to do to accomplish your goals how do you feel?
In my experience most people feel great when focusing on the desired end-result and imagining all of the great feelings that will come along with it…
However, when it comes to thinking about their necessary action steps they elicit themselves into states of aversion which supports them in procrastinating and excusing themselves from action.
Would you like to test this for yourself?
Take a moment to think about one of your ‘elusive’ goals that never seems to actualize. Now think about taking the required action steps and notice how you feel. Are you associating negative emotions with the action steps?
If yes, the great news is you can understand why you’ve been avoiding action. It makes perfect sense. Anyone who is associating negative emotions with a behavior or habit would most likely do the same!
Are you ready to change this orientation?
Let’s take some time to imagine bringing joy and pleasure to the action steps.
- Here are some questions to support you:
- Do you know anyone who enjoys doing that activity?
- What would it be like to do the task if you were them?
- What is it like when you imagine yourself taking that action with joy?
- What else can you do to support yourself in making that task more enjoy-able?
- When you bring joy to that process how much does it increase the probability of you taking action?
When you intentionally take time to imagine enjoying the process the probability that you will follow through with those actions will dramatically increase which greatly increases the probability of you achieving your goals.
Beyond that, when you imagine bringing more joy to the process (rather than focusing so much on the end state) the journey becomes much more enjoyable regardless of whether or not you actually achieve your goals. This benefit is extremely powerful because whether or not we achieve anything in the outside world is never 100% in our power so we might as well enjoy the process!
When we bring more joy to the process we start to build up a track record of success… Not a track record of success in achieving our end goals, but a track record of success in terms of following through on the things that we set out to do and doing them with more joy and pleasure.
Let me summarize the process for you…
- Think of a big goal you’ve been wanting to accomplish but haven’t been taking action towards with the quality you would like.
- Think of a leveraged behavior that, if you were to take it more consistently, would bring you closer towards your desired end state.
- Imagine taking that action with a state of joy.
- Practice this regularly until your default becomes to feel pleasure when thinking about taking the desired action.
Seems simple enough, doesn’t it?
Whether something is joyful or not is a matter of perception… whose perceptions are in your head?
The more joy you can associate with your important actions the more likely you’ll consistently follow through and the more likely you’ll get what you want out of life. Enjoy this process, let me know how it works for you, and I trust this will support you in creating a more enjoy-able life journey.
Any questions or comments? Feel free to share them here.